The Northern Arizona Pioneers’ Historical Society (NAPHS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion, collection, preservation and perpetuation of the history of northern Arizona.
NAPHS was formed in 1905 and proudly supports the Arizona Historical Society’s Pioneer Museum, Riordan Mansion and the Fort Valley Experimental Station.
The Pioneer Museum in Flagstaff is located in the historic Coconino County Hospital for the Indigent, built in 1908. The building was used as a hospital until 1938 and was considered a Poor Farm. The exhibits within the museum reflect the history of Flagstaff and northern Arizona.
Riordan Mansion was built in 1904 for two Riordan brothers and their families. The house is an impressive reminder of gracious living in a small, territorial logging town. The historic building is an Arizona treasure — a remarkable example of Arts and Crafts style architecture featuring a rustic exterior of log-slab siding, volcanic stone arches, and hand-split wooden shingles. The expansive home has forty rooms, over 13,000 square-feet of living area, and servant’s quarters.
The Fort Valley Experimental Forest Station opened in August 1908, the first USFS Research Station in the nation. Scientists established research study into the life and regeneration of the ponderosa pine. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and contains twelve historic buildings.
Each site is an integral part of our local history.
Some significant Northern Arizona Pioneers’ Historical Society events:
- 1960: Purchase of the old Coconino County Hospital
- 1963: First floor of the hospital open as a museum
- 1967: Second floor, barn and Doney Cabin open to the public
- 1988: Purchased Santa Fe Caboose # 99945
- 1994: Moved the Baldwin Locomotive #12 from Fort Tuthill
- 2010: Partnership formed with Riordan Action Network
- 2013: Partnership formed with Friends of Fort Valley
- 2015: Reconstruction of the Gregg Cabin nearly complete
NAPHS continues to support preservation efforts at the Pioneer Museum, Riordan Mansion and the Fort Valley Experimental Station.